(WARNING: Possible spoilers ahead)
Recently, I reviewed the fantastic Girl Out Of Water by Nat Luurtsema, and it’s being billed as a perfect poolside read for the summer. I couldn’t agree more, but I thought I’d share a few songs I think would go perfectly with the book. I did this once for Estelle Maskame’s ‘Did I Mention I Need You?’ but it seems as though that soundtrack has been lost! Never fear though, I’m bringing back Book Soundtracks (inspired by Georgia’s book soundtrack for Waiting For Callback)!
Here are my five picks to accompany this book.
- Swim by Fickle Friends. I discovered Fickle Friends a few days ago, and this particular song is perfect for this book. Aside from the fact it’s title shares the theme of this book anyway, it’s a perfect summer song and I think the lyrics match the feelings of the book as well. Well worth a listen even if you haven’t read the book!
- Famous by Scouting For Girls. Come on; Lou’s failed attempt to get into swimming camp leads her to get onto a TV talent show with the boys she now works with. Seemed like an appropriate song to me!
- Wild Things by Alessia Cara. I really like Alessia’s style of music, but I think this song is very appropriate for this book. Alessia sings a lot about doing your own thing in this song, and I think that’s a core theme for Girl Out Of Water.
- Runaway (U & !) by Galantis. Different style of music to what’s already on this list, but there’s a point in the book where it just seems like the music would accompany it perfectly. It’s hard to describe really why I’ve picked this song without giving away a huge amount of the book. Read it, and then I think you’ll understand!
- You’re My Best Friend by Queen. This is that song that I think the theme matches up perfectly with. You may understand by the end of the book.
So there’s my book soundtrack! I’d like to do more of these in the future, hopefully it worked! Plus, Girl Out Of Water is out TODAY so you should definitely go and read it!